Thursday, July 11, 2024

Best Albums (My Favorites) of 2024 So Far - Mid-Year Assessment


Best Albums (My Favorites) of 2024 So Far - Mid-Year Assessment

OK, now that I have updated the new album roundup through the first half of the year, I can put it all into perspective regarding the the best albums of the year so far (at least rank my personal favorites). Since all of these were covered to some degree in the previous new album roundups for Winter and Spring, I'm not going to include any comments on the albums here. For more info on each one, please go to the corresponding roundup page (I am including the page link after each album, either Winter 2024[W], Spring2024pt1[SP1], or Spring2024pt2[SP2]). So, here are my overall rankings so far, with the top 5 or son being particularly great this year. We'll have to see how these fair by the end of the year, but so far it has been quite a good year for new releases (note however, that 2 albums that are many others lists, The Lemon Twigs and Vampire Weekend, although enjoyable, did not make my top 25, as overall I think they are a bit overrated. Disagree? What are your favorite albums of the year so far?

25. The Tangent - To Follow Polaris [SP2]
24. Professor Caffeine and the Insecurities - self-titled [W]
23. Mark Knopfler - One Deep River [SP2]
22. Sleepmakeswaves - It's Hhere But I No Names For It
21. Waxahatchee - Tiger's Blood [SP2]
20. Karfagen - Messages From Afar-2nd Nature [W]
19. Emerald City Council - Motion Carries [W]
18. Returned to the Earth - Stalagmite Steeple [SP2]
17. Kyros - Mannequin [W]
16. Azure - Fym [SP2]
15, Crowded House - Gravity Stairs [SP1]
14. The Decemberists - As It Ever Was, So It Will Be Again [SP2]
13. Dirt Poor Robins - Firebird [W]
12. Kaipa - Sommargryningsljus [SP1]
11. Steve Hackett - The Circus and the Nightwhale [W]
10. Airbag - The Century of the Self [SP2]
9. The Pineapple Thief - It Leads To This [W]
8. Mandoki Soulmates - The Memory of Our Future [SP1]
7. Rick Miller - One of the Many [SP1]
6. Bend Sinister - Mostly Great Things [SP1]
5. Albion - Lakesongs of the Elbid [W]
4. IZZ - Collapse the Wave [SP2]
3. Guster - Ooh La La [SP1]
2. Big Big Train - The Likes of Us [W]
1. Barock Project - Time Voyager [SP2]

 

1 comment:

mumbles dupree said...

Barock Project - Time Voyager
I thought I was listening to a newly found missing Kansas album that would have fit perfectly into their early repertoire, either just before of after their first album. Thanks.