Sunday, April 15, 2018

A Decade of BB

Quality Music Blog for a Tenth of a Century

Before continuing with posts for my current Tribute to Progressive Rock feature, I must take time out to acknowledge a rather momentous occasion, the tenth anniversary of this blog. Yes, that's right, believe it or not, the BB Chronicles has managed to stick around for a whole ten years! In blog years that's almost like 100. Ok, so, it may not be that much, but it is something, and it has survived long after so many other music blogs have come and gone. So, here we are, after 10 years, and although I post at a somewhat sporadic rate, we have covered a whole lot over the years, from features covering country-rock to pub rock to power pop to progressive rock, from The Kinks to Neil Young to Genesis to Tom Petty, from local to international music scenes, the obscure to the mega-popular, from Aliotta Haynes and Jeremiah to Steve Goodman to Golden Smog to The Vulgar Boatmen, from Aimee Mann to Zoe Daschanel, from The Grays to The Beatles, from America to Wilco, etc., and everything in between, on several hundred music posts, hundreds of thousands of downloads, and millions of pageviews, and it's all still here (mostly). And what I have put out here is some really quality stuff, all music and artists that I personally enjoy very much, and many of these shows are (or at least were) not readily available elsewhere. I try to provide some background and context to the music and artists, as well as my own commentary, rather than just unadorned music files, to give those new to these artists some perspective and history, to explore the music further. And in that sense I hope that what I have provided here has been useful and worthwhile, as well as musically satisfying. And so, I am somewhat proud of what I have assembled here over the past decade, and I hope it has been something that you come back to often and have been introduced to some new music here that you really enjoy, to expand your musical horizons and enjoyment, and be a positive addition to your musical experience as well as your music collection.

And once again, as I have each year at this time, I also want to take this time to thank and celebrate all the others out there who have made so much of this great music, which is not available for purchase anywhere, freely available to all who wish to download and enjoy it. I am only able to offer these downloads because others before me have made them available. So, to all the other bloggers, tapers, forum posters, and music fans that have collected these recordings and made them available over the internet, and most importantly, to all the great artists and musicians out there that have created and performed this wonderful music and allow these recordings to be freely exchanged, I offer a huge and heartfelt Thank You. And again, I implore everyone to purchase all the official releases of your favorite artists, as well as, wherever possible, go see them live in concert. The music here serves to supplement, not replace, all of their officially released music. They are supported by fans like us.


So, I plan to continue on with this little endeavor for as long as possible, such as it is. Perhaps part of my secret to longevity is that I don't spend an inordinate amount of time working on this (just what I can spare at the moment), thus I have not gotten burned out from it. Anyway, I very much enjoy doing it, just have a limited amount of time I can devote to it. But I will always strive to provide new and interesting content that is generally not readily available from many of the the other music blogs. As I've said previously, I do wish I could get more comments, feedback, and discussion from you, the readers of this blog. Please, let me know what you think of what is here, provide your own insight and perspective, and some real discussion of some of this great music. I would love to hear and see more from you, if possible. So, for know, I'll just keep things going as they are, and I hope you will stop by occasionally, check it out, and and join me on this journey. Thanks to all.


19 comments:

david said...

Thanks for all the tunes ! May you have many more years of great music !!!!

jfarrell04 said...

Congrats! Rock on my friend.

speedymjb said...

Congratulations on a decade of providing great music and insight! Long may you run!

Unknown said...

A Happy 10th Birthday - and thanks for all the music you've shared.

heartsofstone said...

Congrats - thanks for all you do for all of us

Andy Swapp said...

Wow how cool are you?! Ten years and I join with everyone visiting here in congratulating you and above all thanking you for all you have made available to us over the past decade! Top stuff! Top job! Topness abounding!

AtticRock said...

Congratulations! You have every reason to be proud of your work here.

Jean-Jacques Mura said...

Happy birthday and a great big thank for all the good music.

Sir Billy Himalaya said...

Congratulations!
Best wishes from the UK.

furnguy said...

mazel tov!!!!!

Macfamily said...

Happy anniversary and thanks so much for the wonderful job.

Best,
L.

Pepper said...

Congratulations on your Golden Decade! You mostly have great taste.
But I gotta say, prog sux! 😄

Archive said...

Heres to another 10 years. Long live Prog!

25thBeatle said...

Congratulations and Happy Birthday. Thanks for all that you have done and I look forward to what you have to offer in the future.

rev.b said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rev.b said...

Happy 10th BB! You've brought a lot of joy to a lot of people over that time and that's certainly something to celebrate. Going by the first two posts in the prog series, the celebration will continue. Thank you for all the great music.

Eclat2000 said...

Dear BB,

Thank you so very, very much for all of the wonderful music you have made available! And yes, thank you too for the often interesting clarifying and heartfelt introductions! I take my hat off for you!

And...! Soft Machine! When I was 17 years old I have had the opportunity to enjoy their concert during the 'Bundles' period. National Health opened the concerts
Before the concert I interviewed Karl Jenkins for our little school newspaper. He turned out to be a very kind guy. Later on through, the years, I have been able to visit solo concerts by Kevin Ayers, Hugh Hopper, Elton Dean, and Keith Tippet. Especially the 4 hour concert by Henry Cow here at the Melkweg in Amsterdam was truly memorable!

Again, many thanks and indeed 'Long may you run'...

La Piazza Gancio said...

Please accept my belated congratulations.

analogkid610 said...

And im way late but it is a milestone worth recognizing. Especially up here. You must be doing it right. I enjoy most of your shares and as time moves along so does my appreciation for music. I thank you very much.